Friday, August 30, 2013

TOP FAMILY CELEBRATES LIFE AT TWENTY


Today, Top of the World celebrates 20 years.

I remember my first encounter with Top, but it was not in Ottawa – shit I hadn’t even been to Ottawa yet at this point – No. It was on Rosemarie Crescent in Timmins, Ontario.

The year is 1998 or so, and my friend Co Gougeon introduces me to my first skateboard. Cool shit I say. From there it became all-consuming: videos, clothes, music, magazines, hanging in da streets, rebellion, and stickers. Yes, stickers!!

“Top of the World” seemed to be Co’s favorite sticker; it was everywhere. Not only that, we’re talking Top hoodies, hats, and t-shirts to boot. If I didn’t know any better, surely the kid was sponsored. So finally I ask him “ Yo Coco, what is Top of the World?”

“It’s a skate shop in Ottawa. Dionne's brother, Eric, works there.”

Fortunately for us, Eric Dionne is Timmins family also, born and bread. As such,Timmins always had a strong connection to the shop and the brother who never forgot where he came from.

 ***

I’ve been lucky enough to be part of the Top Family for a few years now. After befriending Glen and Linda Goodwin back in the Great Canadian Pumpkin Years along with Chris Giles at Shoreline, I became an adoptive member of the family. Nowadays I'm team captain for Top of World's Reach for the Top Wakeboard & Wakeskate Excellence Program - the honour bestowed upon me by none other than Eric and Sam Francis. 

Real talk though those few years spent with the Goodwin's became my anchor to Ottawa. It would be very difficult to imagine my life in Ottawa without Top of the World. 

They’ve aged with grace and humility; and, after all these years it has never once lost sight of a founding concept: family.

And tonight it’s time for one of the biggest family reunions you will ever attend in your life! BLESS!!

Here is to you TOP, happy twenty! CHEERS!

***

To Glenn, Linda, Chris, and Eric -Thank you.

TOP x SHORELINE 2007



No comments:

Post a Comment