Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Five Q's with Craig McCallion



1. So after two full-feature wakeboard films Legit and What UP, what’s next for Half Cab Productions?

As of now there’s no real master plan for another film per say. All I know is that I want to keep pushing it when it comes to riding and filming. I’d like to keep posting fresh content on my blog as the summer goes on. And I guess we’ll see what we have when it’s all said and done.

2. How was the off-season? Rumor has it that it wasn’t much of an off-season for you with snowboarding, Thailand, Australia, and everything in between.
Yeah, the off-season was super sick. I got to snowboard early in the season and then took off for my honeymoon through Australia and Thailand. First stop was Cables Wake Park in Penrith (a.k.a. Sydney) then I headed up the coast to Bli Bli and rode Go Wake Park. In between we checked out a bunch of the little coastal cities and got a few days of surfing in. From there it was off to Thai Wake Park in Bangkok. The whole Thailand experience was simply amazing! TWP is just an unreal place to ride. So after about a month on the road, it was nice to be home and chill with my dog Rusty. It was really to cool to jump from one season to the other and then back again, the last few weeks of snowboarding were also super fun.

3. While on the subject of cable parks and flex boards, how have they come to change the game for you?

Coming from a snowboard background, the idea of riding park on a wakeboard just makes a lot of sense. Cable parks are cheaper, and I’m mostly into riding rails anyway as opposed to riding a wake. It just makes wakeboarding that much more appealing to me as a snowboarder especially with a flex board.  It provides that snowboard feel that I was always looking for.


4. “Zeaching”. What is it? Do you agree with it? Could it help legitimize wakeboarding as the ‘fourth’ boardsport. Your thoughts.

I’ve always used the term ‘no trick’ which I guess is what the kids are calling ‘zeaching’ these days. I guess if I were to define it, it’s that gray area between a nosepress and a noseslide, or an indy versus a tindy. I understand that everyone does it, but wakeboarders should be conscious of it and try to keep it to a minimum, especially if you’re going to call yourself a pro. And if we do that, I think it will help wakeboarding get more respect from other board sports.



5. What are you looking forward to this upcoming wake season?

The Ottawa video release party for LIPSMACK, Winching, the Derome Cable, riding the Rideau, friends, cottages, Sunday Fundays at the Beach Club, road trips, Wake dans Rue, building/hitting new setups, filming…etc. etc. etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment