Sunday, May 9, 2010

"That's not Snowflake! That's not Snowflake!!"

THE WHALE SHARKRhincodon typus, is a slow moving filter feeding shark, the largest living fish species. The largest confirmed individual had a length of 12.65 metres (41.50 ft) and a weight of more than 21.5 tonnes (47,000 lb), but unconfirmed claims report considerably larger whale sharks.  The shark is found in tropical and warm oceans, lives in the open sea with a lifespan of about 70 years.[2] The species originated about 60 million years ago.  (wikipedia)


Swimming with the "Butanding" from Johny Bonney on Vimeo.

"Butanding" is the local name for the whale shark.  I cannot describe the feeling of swimming alongside these giant fish.  It was intense, peaceful, and surreal all at the same time.  After four trips to the Philippines, this was my first time experiencing the whale sharks, and I am very happy that I didn't pass it up. We had a lot of fun, with a great group of people (Aussies, English, German, and Spanish).  I will never forget the sight of that massive fish...all I could think of was Ace Ventura when he's swimming in the shark tank, and yelling: "That's not snowflake! That's not snowflake!!" haha 

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is pretty intense Johny :) What an experience, I would of been sooooo scared haha Good job :)

    ReplyDelete