Friday, June 24, 2011

team BOOMBOX visits NOFX in MONTEBELLO

I can't remember Kevin's exact words, but it was something like "NOFX in Montebello, let's make it happen." Now whether that was back in March or April is beyond me, but whatever we'd be doing, wherever we would be, and whoever we would be with; all we knew is that we would be in Montebello on June 18, 2011 one way or another like a bat out of hell...
(dtox rockfest)
Understand that the plan on how to get to Montebello did change several times, and who exactly would be coming with also varied at times. Nevertheless with a bike marathon now out of the question, Andy Morrish generously volunteered his truck that would take us there. So with Andy, Kev, and myself committed, there remained only three more spots. So after searching for potential teammates far and wide, high and low, it would be Danielle, Bolduc, and Monica joining us for an unforgettable wholesome good time.

Our day started off as per usual, slow and scattered. Yet, after a delicious breakfast courtesy of Mr. Courioustimes and figuring out a few logistical issues, we gathered ourselves and would be on our way shortly. Not so fast, well at least for me. Worst case scenario came true minutes before exiting the door as I would get a call from work telling me  that I was needed for the day. "FACK!" 
So while I was hard at work like a chump, team got to check out most namely the Flatliners, Bouncing Souls, and Cancer Bats. And so goes the story it was a beautiful sunny day, they went swimming, yada yada yada.... And well shit it was finally time to close up shop with my man Drew who was kind enough to offer me a ride to the airport so I could pick up my rental car. From there everything ran smooth as, and before you know it I'm pulling up to Montebello and spot my crew holding it down on the main drag with a full on tail gate party happening, most proper I'd say.

I'm greeted with nothing but smiles, hand taps, and a beer. Shotguns, skateboarding, footy, laughs, and hype ensues as the anticipation builds, and the reality of seeing NOFX live finally begins to settle in....
The moment was finally here for Fat Mike, El Hefe, Smelly, and Eric Melvin to take to the stage. They said hello, bonjour, and then BOOM!!! DINOSAURS WILL DIE. SEEING DOUBLE AT THE TRIPLE ROCK. EAT THE MEEK. PERFECT GOVERNMENT. MURDER THE GOVERNMENT. HEROJUANA. KILL ALL THE WHITE MAN. CHAMP ÉLYSÉ. LEAVE IT ALONE. LINOLEUM. SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND SKATE. I WANNA BE AN ALCOHOLIC. FRANCO UN-AMERICAN.  MATTERSVILLE. DOORNAILS. WE CALLED IT AMERICA. BLASPHEMY. REEKO.
Amazing show, not even gonna waste my time trying to put it in words cause it's just one of those things where you just had to be there. sorry bout ya ay!!
It was now time to set up camp somewhere. We had a camping option with our friend Sean who claimed he had a spot in the tall grass, but that proved to be pretty vague and most difficult to locate so we decided to drive up the highway and find a field. I'm not sure how we found this spot or how this spot had found us, but it was almost too good to be true. Tucked away from the highway behind, ironically enough, some tall grass, Andy parked the truck and we started setting up our tent only to realize that we were next to a field of horses. We made peace in the morning with carrots, courtesy of Courioustimes. 
(team Boombox at the ranch)


Photos: D. Piquette

No comments:

Post a Comment